Tuesday, September 21, 2010

International Day of Peace

According to Wikipedia.org, today is the International Day of Peace or World Peace Day as it is also known.

"It occurs annually on September 21. It is dedicated to peace, or specifically the absence of war, such as might be occasioned by a temporary ceasefire in a combat zone. It is observed by many nations, political groups, military groups, and peoples. The first year this holiday was celebrated was 1981.

To inaugurate the day, the "Peace Bell" is rung at UN Headquarters. The bell is cast from coins donated by children from all continents. It was given as a gift by the Diet of Japan, and is referred to as "a reminder of the human cost of war." The inscription on its side reads: "Long live absolute world peace."


There are so many conflicts out there in the world, and even in our daily lives these days. I myself have a horrible daily meeting with road rage. My tolerance is low for idiots. But, seeing today is to be a peaceful day, I am going to do my best not to get aggrevated by people on the road. I am going to look at any grudges or arguements I may be holding inside, and I am going to see if they are worth continuing to hold on to, or if I can resolve anything in a peaceful manner. As you go about your day today, try to keep this in your head when you get upset at someone/something. Try to keep peace in mind today. Even if it is only one day that people can make peace happen, its better than none, and it is a start.

I'm not really a hippy, but I guess in many ways I am because I really do want world peace and I love nature...I'm going to go hug some trees now, and maybe some people too. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment