Saturday, September 18, 2010

Saturday Simplicity

I wrote this over on my personal blog today, but I think people who read this will really get a kick out of it (once we get past the "Jules is ill" bit). I have bloody amazing children!

----


I'm ill. I'm ill to the status of turning into a "sucky baby". I don't complain unless it is really bad. My Lupus is really trying to kick my ass, showing me no mercy. I haven't had a flare last for this long in a very long time. Even so I always live with a good amount of pain, I had forgotten just how bad bad can be. I've been running a fever since I awoke yesterday. Today, I woke up with mouth ulcers. I'm grumpy. I'm irritable. I'm liable to lash out at any poor unsuspecting soul. But thank Bob for my children. At least they can keep me laughing through all of this.

It started this morning. I got up feeling like shit and as if someone beat the crap out of me in my sleep, yet again. I put on my glasses and hobbled down to the kitchen to put on a pot of coffee. I sat down in front of my computer to check my email and Twitter while I waited for the blessed coffee to brew. Because I'm ill, my vision is also being affected and every thing was blurry and as if it had a white film across it. That is when the following conversation took place:

Me: Where are my glasses?

Kid2: What?

Me: I can't find my glass. Help me find them. (Starts searching). Wait. Never mind. They are on my face.

Kid2: BWAHAHAHA! OMG! I thought that only happens in movies! Too funny. Mom, that was pro. You are so fail today! Way too funny, mom.


Shortly afterward, his dad picked him up to do some clothes shopping. Upon his return, I hear the following:

Kid2: Mom, look at this! I picked it out all on my own. You want it, don't you? You're jealous aren't you? You'd wear this to your next convention, wouldn't you?

Me: OMG! DUDE! That is so awesome! YES! I do want it! Man, you're awesome!

Kid2: *giggles* I knew it!



And just now, the following conversation occurred while I was outside getting some fresh air as I'm burning up.

(After Kid2 and his friend rounded the corner into the backyard)

Kid2's friend: I hear that you can walk on your hands.

Me: Yes, I can.

Kid2: She can also lick her elbows! I don't know how she does it. It is freaky but still cool. Mom, show her!

Me: Honey, I'm not feeling well. My body really hurts right now. Otherwise, I'd love to show my freaky skills.

(Kid2 and Kid2's friend try to lick their elbows while conversing over how they don't understand how it is possible.)

Me: Fine! I'll do it! (licks elbow).

Kid2's friend: WOW!

Kid2: SEE! Told you! They say it isn't possible to lick your elbows, but my mom can!

Me: Well, what "they" say is false. It isn't impossible, it is just rare.

Kid2 to his friend: She makes a good point. My mom is a rare breed of person. It is one of the things that makes her so awesome. She's rare and weird but in a really good way. (To Me) She also doesn't believe that you squee'd when I showed you my Mario shirt.

Me: Yes, I did squee.

Kid2's friend: Then you'd squee over my brother's shirt as he has the same one.

Me: I probably would.

Kid2: Okay, mom. I have to go into the back forest now. I left my winter coat back there.

Me: Why is your winter coat back there?

Kid2: Because I needed it to sing The Mountain Climber song while climbing trees.




Despite feeling like death waiting to happen, at least I can look forward to a day filled with laughter.

----------

One of the things I really am appreciative of is that my children are both geeks. I wouldn't say they are nerds but they are definitely geeks. I've never done anything to groom them as such. It is just how they have turned out (which is pretty damn awesome!). But what makes me appreciate all of this more, is that they are growing up in an age where it is accepted among their peers. Or maybe it is just accepted among their peers in my neck of the woods. They have never been teased for it or have been made to feel as if they are "weird" because of it. Or maybe they are but do not notice it because I've raised them to be very self-assured individuals. Most likely, it is a combo of both.

I also think it is rather fab that they have people in the media, outside of myself, who are nerds/geeks which they can look up to. I think I am a damn fine role model but it really is comforting to know they have some outside of me, something I did not really have growing up.

I think that is all I have to say about that. If I don't stop vomiting out my thoughts now, this blog post would never end.

EDIT: Now that I actually think about it, Kid1 is a nerd and Kid2 is a geek.


No comments:

Post a Comment