Sunday, October 10, 2010

The Apollo Awards: Neat Idea or Cashing In On Nerd Culture

Let's have a discussion. I have to thank one of my Twitter followers (@dr_lindyke) for inspiring this blog post.

Earlier this morning on Geeky Pleasures, I posted the following press release. Click the clip below or you will be a wee bit lost on this topic.






Not receiving any feedback, I asked the following question on Twitter:




Which spawned this discussion (if you are viewing this in an RSS reader, you may need to visit the site to read the discussion):





So let me ask you the same questions. Do you think it is neat that geeks and nerds get to nominate and vote for their favourite SciFi and Fantasy films and television or do you think it is just another popularity contest?

Do you see it as geeks/nerds choosing what they actually like without mainstream telling them what is or is not cool or do you think it is profit grab?

Do you like this idea or does it bother you?

Do you think these are awards are filled with irony due to popularity factor and as geeks and nerds we shouldn't care about that?

What other issues do you see with this, if any?

What do you think?

6 comments:

  1. Short version- I'm not big on awards shows in general... That said, why not? Besides, one person/troll is hardly an extensive survey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Jeremy, he isn't a troll. He is a good friend who loves to go toe to toe with me. We often debate just for the sake of the debate, offering the opposite opinion and it is never personal. We have fun doing it.

    That being said, he did raise some valid points that I can see others having as well. However, I like the idea of these awards (I'm not big on awards in general either) because 1) Nerds get to choose who is nominated etc; 2) Doesn't matter where you live, it is for the entire global nerd community to participate in, unlike other "viewer choice" awards; 3) Will be using the wonderful internets to broadcast it live, once again allowing the global community to participate. These things excite me to a certain degree.

    And you are quite correct, one person is not a survey. It is why I asked the question here as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a GREAT idea. I for one would be all about nominating and voting. I love all thinks geek and this is a chance to show that love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea, but only for certain bits. For nerds and geeks who have been in the scifi/fantasy-verse for a while, I think this shouldn't really apply, because decisions on what new shows to watch are usually based on recommendation and/or research. For those people who are just entering this universe, the Apollo Awards would be a great way to start them on their path to true geekdom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think it's an either/or situation. It's both a chance for some sci-fi fans to do some voting/ballot-stuffing and a vehicle to generate profit for somebody.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea that scifi films/shows don't have to compete with every other genre and we can concentrate on the best scifi there is. There are so many things to consider in this genre alone eg acting/costumes/storyline/fight scenes/directing/aliens/ the list is endless when you the consider the technology that is required to make the machines move, the monsters/aliens face seem real and the action required to appear as though in space, let alone the airships they invent. Can you remember what it was like when Star Wars first came out...awesome and so advanced, now it seems scifi films get overlooked. Lets hope these awards give credit to where it is needed, the geeks, nerds and inventors of creativity. Cheers to all and good luck. Dee

    ReplyDelete