Friday, October 8, 2010

New York Comic Con - Day 1

First off, let me introduce myself. My name is Christine (aka News_on_Shuffle on The Twitter). Hi! *waves at you* This is going to be my first post here at Nerds in Babeland, and I am super excited that it gets to be a special 3-part series on the awesome that is New York Comic Con. I thought it would be fun to do it as kind of a daily journal, especially since this was my first comic convention, and I had a lot of thoughts whirling through my brain as I took everything in.

12:34 - The adventure begins. Leaving for NYC now : )
2:05 - Arrive at Javit's Center. Spend half an hour looking for room with "How to Survive the Zombie Apocalypse" panel. By the time I get there it is already full. A screen in the room across the hall that says "Smallville" intrigues me. I go there instead. Turns out it is a panel called "Spotlight on Geoff Johns"
2:40 - A friend calls me 5 minutes after discovering the Geoff Johns panel. I meet her and her friends, and we wander exhibits for a bit.
4:20 - Got in line for Stan Lee panel. 0_o I should have gotten here sooner. The line is ginormous.
4:58 - Finally got seats for Stan Lee panel. Made a new friend while waiting in line. We are asked to watch some guy's sword while he runs back to his hotel real quick. I think to myself, "Only at Comic Con."
*sidebar* - I would talk about The Guardian Project (which was the subject of this panel) and all the juicy tidbits I learned, but they're not planning on revealing details to the rest of the public for a few months, and I'm going to respect that. Also, we may or may not have been threatened. There was wagging of the fingers... and such. I will say though that in describing this new project, Stan Lee said, "It's a little bit exciting," in that way that only he says things. And if Stan the Man is excited, we all should be excited. The project will be fully unveiled at the NHL All Star game on January 11, 2011.
5:45/5:50 - Dinner and more wandering. Had a lovely chat with the CBDLF about Neil Gaiman and why he is awesome and another girl at Midtown Comics about the awesome that is Serenity. I was looking at a Serenity book. She was dressed as Kaylee. It was like kismet... or something.
7:00 - Say goodbye to my new friend and head over to The Onion panel for my dose of hilarity and fake news. The panel brought viewers the news of the future... today. Yes, the news of 2137 can be viewed before it even happens. Maybe we can use this information to prevent our untimely demise... or not. Panel attendants were told the story of how one of The Onion satellites fell into a wormhole and started broadcasting to us the news of the future. Go see for yourself at itunes.com/theonion
8:00 - Panel ends and I prepare to stand in line for the James Marsters panel. I find my friends near the front of the line, holding a spot for me. My friends are awesomesauce.
8:10 - They let us in early and I get to sit through the tail end of Voltaire's show, proving my love for James Marsters really has no end. (sorry to any Voltaire fans I may offend with that last comment)
8:45 - James Marsters takes the stage! He is as charming and funny as I imagined he would be. We talked about a wide range of topics, and since this was the main thing I wanted to see today I took a LOT of notes. Seriously, I could do a whole post on this alone, probably. I'll try to keep it condensed though.

First off, he confirmed right away that his character on Hawaii Five-0 is NOT dead. Go ahead and cheer for a bit... Done? Alright then, moving right along...

Other things discussed included: his role of Braniac coming back for the last season of Smallville (although he has a gag order on that so couldn't really talk about it), lots of Buffy-related things, kissing John Barrowman on Torchwood, his favorite movie (Apocalypse Now), his coolest stunt ever (being lit on fire as Spike on Buffy), Torchwood season 4 (Has he gotten the call from Russel yet? Answer: No, but he [Russell] will. Because he's not a moron), most fulfilling role (Macbeth, and Torvald in A Doll's House), favorite project (Buffy, because of the writing), vampires and how they shouldn't sparkle (Quote: If you're gonna be a vampire, then be a vampire. Don't be nice about it."), his superpower (flying and invulnerability - because he'd fly into walls all the time), Buffy the Musical and how much he enjoyed it, and how it is harder to laugh than cry on cue. He then closed with a song. The whole panel was a great end to Day 1 of my first comic convention. Marsters is a wonderful, delightfully nerdy soul, and a perfect fit for NYCC. His final line of the eveing says it all - "I love you. Every one of you freaks. I love you all."

And we love you, James <3

So, that about concludes my post on Day 1 of NYCC. The rest is just train rides and yet another example of why I despise NJ Transit. It is now 1am, and I am just wrapping up this extremely long post. It's gonna hurt so bad when I wake up early tomorrow to do this all again, but the rewards far outweigh the costs, IMO. See you tomorrow, fellow nerds.

PS - I have a ton of pictures I took, but it's getting late so I think I'm gonna save them for a huge photo post when the weekend finishes. Sound like a plan? Good, I'm glad we could agree on that. Good night, nerds!

No comments:

Post a Comment