Sunday, October 10, 2010

New York Comic Con - Day 3

Well, here we are folks - the end of the road. My last day at Comic Con was relatively low-key, but there were enough exciting moments to make it just as good as the rest of the weekend.

8:00am - Wake up for Day 3 of Comic Con! I am excited about the adventures that await, but also somewhat glad it is the last day. To be perfectly honest, I have worn myself out with all this fun I've been having. I might be getting too old for this...

Nah! That's crazy talk!

9:01 - The journey begins with a train platform full of people dressed to the nines for NYCC. We all sit in the same part of the train. It occurs to me that all 3 days this weekend I have met cool people because of this convention.
10:21 - Back inside NYC, but have to get the monies before making my way. This convention is cleaning me out.
10:45  After meeting a friend en route to con, I arrive at Javits Center. We are made to go downstairs just to go back up again. I think this is silly but whatever.
11:09 - Haven't been here that long and already spent a ton of money. Got my copy of "Days Missing" signed and talked to the guys about the panel last night. They threw in a free poster, also signed. Dudes were super nice and gave me a great start to my morning. I also got my screwdriver for the Doctor Who costume I'm working on and discussed the series for a bit with the people running that table. I vow to not spend any more money this weekend, as I am close to being The Broke.
12:40pm - Found some cool prints and decided to break my "no spending" rule. Talked to the artist (Tim Smith) for a bit as well. He was really cool and nice. You could tell he loves his craft and doesn't really care about the money.
1:36 - I feel like half my time here has been spent on lines. Standing in one now, this time for the Walking Dead panel. While waiting, a friend and I come up with new nicknames for each other - basic and expansion. This because her holding onto my shoulder so we wouldn't get separated made me think of an expansion game. We are such nerds! But I love everything about it.
2:34 - After much craziness, and a near riot, we finally get seats for the Walking Dead panel. First we got a 6&1/2  minute clip of footage from the 2nd episode. I'm not gonna lie, Gracie, the series looks pretty bad-ass. I'm looking forward to the premiere on Halloween.

Next, we got introduced to the people behind the show (writer, director, producer). The moderator went through a series of questions about some of the decisions involved (making it a TV show instead of a movie, the choice of doing it on AMC & how the network responded to it, and how it feels to see the thing finally come to fruition. Apparently AMC has been very supportive of this project. They also said they plan on taking this "on every spastic direction we can". It sounds like there will be plenty of surprises while still keeping fans of the book happy. I think it will help that it's on a cable network, because it means they can push the boundary on how far they take it and what they can do without getting hounded by the network.

After we got through a round of questions, we got another clip from the show. More questions followed, this time focusing on casting as opposed to story and production. We then got introduced to the cast, as the actors were added to the panel. Each actor got a chance to talk about their character for a bit and their familiarity with the comic the series is based off of. The panel gave us a good look at the series and its characters without giving away too many details. They eventually opened it up to questions from the audience, then concluded by playing the trailer and telling everyone one final time to watch the show. Their success depends greatly on us, so don't let them down! (That last part is all me, but I'm sure the panel would have agreed).
4:12 - Panel concludes. We wander a bit before another friend sends out the bat signal and I meet them for dinner. Overall I would call this weekend a huge success. I will do a wrap-up and photo blog ASAP (hopefully tomorrow). Until next time, fellow nerds!

No comments:

Post a Comment