Friday, September 10, 2010

XOXO Nerdy Girl


In honor of CranialSpasm's awesome guilty pleasure post, I have decided to admit my own guilty pleasures: Gossip Girl. I know, I know, I should be ashamed to call myself a nerd and yet love this ridiculous teen drama but I can't help it. As a girl that grew up loving 90210, Gossip Girl is the closest to the over-dramatic teen soap opera. Something about watching a bunch of privileged teens whine and mope about scenarios that are not even remotely believable just sparks the fangirl in me. Plus, it doesn't hurt that I view Blair Waldorf as the modern day equivalent to Scarlett O'Hara and I just love watching a good biotch on TV.

I think another part of my love for this show is that I view the the "un-reality" of Gossip Girl almost on the same level as Scifi or fantasy. I know it's a stretch but, again, there is practically nothing even remotely believable about the show and it kind of helps me live out different sort of fantasies that I would never actually be able to partake in (or even WANT to partake in). Plus, I mean, Gossip Girl has a blog! That's nerdy, right? ;)

I also read the books occasionally. I suppose that is my ultimate embarrassing admission here but sometimes you just need a good trash novel. It does kind of depress me that this is what "young adults" read now when I use to read the Babysitter's Club and X-Men but oh well. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

I should also add that very network TV show impressed me with regards to online fan interaction. The Second Life world of Gossip Girl, the twitter/blogs, etc. They are all pretty cool ways to get people more involved in a show that they love and I consider most things that do this at least partially worthy of attention from the online community. It requires creative, talented artists and engineers to create these worlds, in addition to the studios/writers of the actual program.

No comments:

Post a Comment